Re: Safety statistics

To: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>,
Subject: Re: Safety statistics
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 22:37:04 -0500
From: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>

>In the SSS I attended they said there have been two deaths since '73.
>One driver had a heart attack while driving,

When and where?

>and the other was a
>spectator standing near the course without a spotter who was hit by a
>corvette.

The spectator was shooting a video of his son(?) and was struck by the other
car on the course.  He had been told not to stand in that area.  I guess
they should have had him arrested to protect him from himself.

In California an Elan left the site and driver and passenger struck a tree
limb with their heads.  Both died.  The particulars of this one are such an
amalgam of worst-case happenings that the phrase "freak accident" may be
appropriate.  A terrible tragedy indeed.

As far as injuries, the broken arm in the BMW rollover at Nationals is the
only one I can recall hearing about.

In our corner of the world (Twin Cities in Minnesota) since my autocross
beginnings in 1968 I have heard about or been present for maybe a dozen
incidents of damage by impact (including a couple rollovers) and two or
three fires.  I don't recall ever hearing about any injuries at all.  This
beats softball and football for safety in sports.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher