Re: Tire warming

To: "Rex Tener" <rex_tener@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Tire warming
From: "Bruce Wentzel" <greendotracing@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 19:59:05 -0400
> At 12:26 PM 9/11/2001 -0600, Scott Troyer - TestEng DRAM Repair wrote:
> >You don't know that the car is running do you? Even though there is
> >someone in the drivers seat you can't be sure from the picture...I've
seen
> >a lot of people using these passive heat retainers.
>
> That is the true, but in the past they have run the engine.  I remember
> that from the '99 nationals.  Here is a shot from the front.

I don't pretend to know what was happening when the picture was taken, but
this morning Bob came and spoke with all of us who had these thremal fences
to remind us that engine running with them was a no-no.
And I had just spoken with Howard who felt that there was no problem with
running the engines. Bob and I agreed that Howard's opinion might be
a) flawed
b) not to be found in the chcain of decision making for this event.

> Nationals trivia questions?
>
> Who originally had the idea at nationals to use the thermal barrier as a
> fence to close off the bottom of the car, as a method to keep tires warm
> and keep heat in?  What year was it?  What class were they running?

I'm going to credit my co-driver,Don Kline with that and I think it might
have been as early as 1992. Don will remember what year he drove with me. He
make the tire blankets. Don't know who first make the full  fence.

Bruce

FYI, Murphy was right. The darn sway bar braket will break on your first run
at Nationals.
Only $9.95 per month!
Sign up in September to win one of 30 Hawaiian Vacations for 2!