Re: John Ames, Tom Ellam, John Thomas

To: teamdotnet <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: John Ames, Tom Ellam, John Thomas
From: "K.C. Babb" <73110.574@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 10:39:46 -0400
Jeff said:

>Was weather or temperature a factor at this event?  Or was the course
>so suited to Z06, RX3 and 510 that:

Yes, and somewhat.

>John Thomas's EP Civic time was faster than all Prepared entrants,
>and als would have taken 2nd in E-Mod.

And 2nd or 3rd in DM, IIRC.  This is pretty routine for John.  I don't
recall when EP ran, but it was rather warmer earlier in the week
than on Friday.  If you drove a race tire car on Friday and didn't have a
tire warmer, odds are you had cold tires for every run.  It was pretty
funny to see O'Donnell's pristine white Elan enclosed by a fence
(white, of course) of insulating bubble-wrap.

>Tom Ellam's CSP RX3 was faster than any SP entrant an all FP and BP
>entrants.

IIRC, FP ran North.  The first two heats Tuesday went off on the North;
everybody else ran South one day or another (Tuesday a.m., Thursday,
or Friday).

According to scca.org, the North course classes should have been:

AML, AP, BP, CSPL, DSP, CM, CSL, FP

>John Ames SS time in his Z06 was faster than all the BSP (including
>Gary Thomason's) and BP Corvettes (including Ken Yeo)...

BP also ran the North course, which was probably a second or two
longer than the South.  But Ames did a fantastic job; he was by far
the smoothest and most effective through the finish section.
Brake point selection and sweeper-exit late apexing were the
main "core competencies" required by the South course, and
John did both extremely well.

KCB