Re: Why not four runs/day

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Why not four runs/day
From: Reijo Silvennoinen <rase@telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:43:52 -0600
Smokerbros@aol.com wrote:

> > I imagine that similar comments were spoken when nationals went from 2 runs
> >

> Well, that would have been in the '70's, and every event I had run in at that
> time gave you at least 3 runs, so going to 3 runs would have just brought the
> Nationals up to contemporary standards.  Do you know for a fact that
> Nationals was ever 2 runs instead of 3?
>
> CHD
> (only started going to Nationals in '80)

Here in Canada most of the events I'm aware of are 4 official runs although
occassionally we will have 3 runs when strapped for time (like the last local
event due to shorter evening daylight hours and doing it after work on Wednesday
night).

In fact our rules say that:  "There shall be a minimum of three (3) timed runs,
except under unforeseen circumstances."

A couple of years ago we had one event in which we managed only 2 runs
(organizational problems that have been fixed since) before we had to call it
due
to a lack of light.  The "official" results were struck and we gave a free entry
for the make-up event which replaced that one.

I don't recall ever hearing of 2 official runs myself and I believe that back in
the early '70's our rules were more in line with the SCCA.

However, I do have a Canadian Rule book dating back to 1971 in my hands and in
there it says that "Every competitor should have a minimum of 2 timed runs."
;^)

How about that?......learn something new every day!

Reijo