Re: Why not four runs/day

To: <jeff@winchell.com>, <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Subject: Re: Why not four runs/day
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 02:46:43 -0500
Nationals were never *scheduled* as two runs.

The first one in 1973, most classes ended up with just two runs because they
dicked around until noon on Saturday before the event got going (mostly the
SEB totally changing the event concept the morning of the event). Yes, I was
there.

At some others in the '70s, a few classes got shut down to a 2-run shot on a
course, but it was rare. Nonexistent from the late '70s on.

Keep in mind, we definitely got away with something this year. We did it
primarily because of an intense focus by all concerned -- and I DO mean
everyone -- to make the event happen. That focus existed because of the
circumstances of Sept. 11 that put us all in a frame of mind to enable that.

We were not just there to have fun. We went to battle. In our own miniscule
way on Thursday and Friday, we fought the war. Completing the event was
victory over those who attacked us and our way of life. Without that focus
(which has never existed at this event before and may never again)
attempting to run a 406-car (I counted), 9-heat event in one day would have
collapsed in chaos. Trust me, if you don't have to, you do NOT want to run
cars 18 seconds apart as SOP.

I wish I could have had a fourth run too. I drove like crap. But then I
probably would have driven like crap on a fourth run also. We had a local
autocross Sunday. Four runs. I drove like crap there too. All four runs. My
only clean run was my slowest.  :^

--Rocky