Re: Ft. Myers - Sound Control?

To: "bruce haden" <bhaden@ucsd.edu>, <JDMurphy47@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Ft. Myers - Sound Control?
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:23:55 -0600
From: bruce haden <bhaden@ucsd.edu>

>So, put mufflers on it. In San Diego it's 93db. We're used to it.
>It really isn't so bad.

I see a lot of traffic on this list which implies that the biggest challenge
facing autocrossing is recruiting and keeping participants.  That's surely
not the problem here, and I suspect in most other places.  The big problem
is finding and keeping sites.  If quiet exhaust systems help, let's have
quiet exhaust systems.

I'd support a rule calling for street-legal sound levels from exhaust
systems on all cars in all classes right up to A-Mod.  Several car types,
notably normally-aspirated RX7 cars and two-stroke specials are going to
find their levels of tuning heavily dependent on the allowed sound.  It
would help competitors with such vehicles if there was a nationwide standard
for autocross exhaust noise.

There are a lot of autocross clubs, but the tail that wags the dog (not in
my town, of course, but in most) is SCCA Solo2.  An unambiguous rule
covering all Solo2 and ProSolo events (whether on isolated venues or not)
would go a long way to setting a de facto standard for all autocross clubs.
This could make sites easier to get and hold.  It would also give traveling
autocrossers some confidence that they and their competitors would be
playing from the same sheet of music, so to speak.

I encourage members of the SCCA to write the SEB with their thoughts on this
subject.  More and better sites can only help ALL autocrossing clubs, but I
think SCCA needs to take the lead.

Phil Ethier  West Side   Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
pethier@isd.net   http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org