Video Replay in the field or at Nationals ("Let's go to the

To: evolution-discussions <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Video Replay in the field or at Nationals ("Let's go to the
From: Matt Murray <mattm@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:16:07 -0400
>From a video geek's perspective (and I'm cc'ing Rich Fletcher and
Bob Tunnell in case I'm off-base, tech/production wise).

Yup, add a little help from a high end video system (Avid, Media
100, etc.) and you could mess with a tape. In a half hour time
frame? I doubt it.

It would be very hard to encode to digital (more likely to be
done [encode] as the live action is occurring) from tape, view
where you want to add or remove the pylon(s), hack the
edit/effect, and download back to the media in which it was
recorded.

I think the "Powers That Be" should be able to allow video replay
provided the tape is presented within a reasonable amount of time
WITH the time code/counter intact and no "crash edits." I would
strongly urge anyone archiving for this reason make sure the time
of day (call it time code) be pretty darn close to real time. I
would recommend the "reasonable time" be no longer than one hour
(okay, I'll cc Howard and the SEB, too), from the end of the
incident or last run of the class. Another idea would be to spray
paint a date/course name/designer near the start so that the
shooter can capture that image and then pan up to the car/course.
I guess I'm angling for a position on the video replay committee.
:^)

Mr. (Bad) Video (or whomever is shooting Nationals) could be
considered an unbiased and un-manipulated source. But, they may
not be able to provide and/or release their masters within the
prescribed time. However, if a protest is lodged within the
permitted time, then a copy should be supplied for the appeal at
a later date (we like to read those in Fastrack).

You still have to accept that the tape may not have enough
information to give a definitive answer (just like football). The
zebras rule the game.  :^)

At this weekend's Northeast Divisional, the heat I announced in,
one corner station was running after a pylon on almost every run.
They missed a few pylon calls. One pylon penalty I caught, wasn't
called in. After multiple attempts at confirmation with the
station, we finally established that a pylon was hit. It was very
hectic in the timing truck, and we were staffed by very
experienced folks in timing doing the master log and penalty
logs. It is a volunteer sport (you get what you pay for). I think
we can offer some ideas and guidelines for an era in which there
are video cameras everywhere.

Matt Murray
Of course, all in my opinion (IMO)