Re: building SP engine

To: brian.davis@rose-hulman.edu
Subject: Re: building SP engine
From: Andy Hollis <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:13:22 -0500
>14.10.O. Cylinders may be rebored to .0472 in. over standard bore and the
>appropriate

[snip]

>- -------------
>My question...I was having trouble interpreting this.  Would I be allowed
>rebore the block somewhere near this limit and use aftermarket pistons of
>the stock style (but in the overbore size)?  Or can I only use aftermarket
>pistons OR overbore pistons, not both?

The former.  You can use aftermarket (including custom-made) pistons that
are close to the .0472 limit, bore the block up to +.0472 and install with
appropriate clearance.  Pistons must essentially be clones of the stock
ones, though, just with a larger outside diameter.  Weight must be no less
than an OEM piston.  Forged and cast may be interchanged.

Also note the clarification that came out earlier this year.  The .0472 is
an absolute limit on the block bore.  There is no additional allowance for
wear.  So best to be on the safe side and bore to .0465-.0470, allowing for
a couple thousandth's of wear over the competitive life of the motor.

--Andy