Re: street tires, new kumho?

To: Christopher Hammond <christoc@christoc.com>
Subject: Re: street tires, new kumho?
From: B Vibert <blur@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 07:32:10 -0400
Christopher Hammond wrote:

> I have the Ecsta 712's on my car now (99 Z-28), almost 30k miles on them this
>year, working good, but they are loud and terrible in the snow. Looking at
>Tirerack I ran across a new Ecsta 711....
>

>http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=ECSTA+711&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=45HR6E711
>
> Anyone ever heard of these? Any experience with them? They look to me like
>they may fair better in the snow?

Snow???  Surely you jest.

High performance summer tires like these Kumho's were never designed
to go near snow or cold temperatures.  The compound basically
"freezes" and just doesn't work.   You need winter tires or at least
all season tires if the temperature drops below freezing.

Burl Vibert
1983 911SC
Kingston, Ontario