Proposal Grid Procedures 2003 Nationals and Tours

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Proposal Grid Procedures 2003 Nationals and Tours
From: "Rick Cone" <rickcone@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:51:33 -0400
This is just a proposal.  People will say it's too difficult.  But to me
makes much more sense.  Is 100% Fair.  Even if it means completely blowing
up the way we do things currently....

A) Everyone that registers gets a sequential ID Number.
B) You are gridded in reverse order in which you register.  IE first
registration in, last out in grid...
C) On the 2nd day of competition you run in current standing order.  Should
be easy for grid they just look and see what spot you are in and that's your
grid spot.  You then pull from the highest (slowest) grid spot first.

OK So what about 2nd drivers... Simple we ban them... :)  Not really.

The 2nd driver will run at the beginning of the heat on the first day,
followed by everyone else.

On the 2nd Day the slower 2nd drivers get pulled out and are run at the
beginning again, followed by everyone else.

This has the following advantages...

A) There is no trying to second guess the weather as your grid order is
essentially random.
B) On day 2, similar to Pro's, the faster cars will be going out together.
Thus eliminating weather from skewing the results on day 2.
C) The announcers will have it much easier on trying to figure out where
people are currently standing.

It has the following disadvantages:
A) Timing.  Cars will be going out of car number sequence.  I know its a big
deal for them, but they don't exactly go in sequence when you have 60 CP'ers
and 35+ are 2 driver cars.
B) Creating the grids.  The software we use to create the grids would need
to get redone..... but it is not a huge job.

Comments?  Flaming?  Think I'm loosing it?
Let me know... :)

Rick Cone