Re: Recaps

To: "Paul Zahornasky" <p.zahornasky@att.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Recaps
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 00:14:04 -0600
My impression is that Paul's guess #1 is basically it.

The recap rule has been around ever since the rulebook was a stone tablet.

It did not exist everywhere. I seem to recall a race team in the '70s (IMSA
Camel GT?) that ran on, and was sponsored by, Bandag recaps.

Guess #2 is probably still a valid reason, but how many people have access
not only to a recap machine (not all that hard) but also the materials to
create a gooey cap (much harder). It would about have to be a manufacturer
(a la Bandag), and what good would it do them to sneak their sticky recaps
onto a Hoosier or BFG carcass? If they cannot market their product, why
bother?

--Rocky