Re: Recaps

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Recaps
From: Bob Pariza <bpariza@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 04:11:49 -0800 (PST)
I'm thinking that if a recapping company thought there was enough volume
(money) to justify the effort, they could probably get the powers that be to
change that rule and they could sell sticky 'caps.  My guess is that low
quality (read that safety) is why the rule got put there in the first place,
and that nobody has cared enough about 'caps to try and change it since.  You
do have to wonder what would happen when a "frugal" autocrosser tried to run a
set of 'caps 'til they corded tho...
Bob in ABQ

 Rocky Entriken <rocky@tri.net> wrote:My impression is that Paul's guess #1 is
basically it.

The recap rule has been around ever since the rulebook was a stone tablet.

It did not exist everywhere. I seem to recall a race team in the '70s (IMSA
Camel GT?) that ran on, and was sponsored by, Bandag recaps.

Guess #2 is probably still a valid reason, but how many people have access
not only to a recap machine (not all that hard) but also the materials to
create a gooey cap (much harder). It would about have to be a manufacturer
(a la Bandag), and what good would it do them to sneak their sticky recaps
onto a Hoosier or BFG carcass? If they cannot market their product, why
bother?

--Rocky