Recaps

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recaps
From: "Donna and Terry Cost" <tcost@hot.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:00:25 -0600
Both of my sons autocrossed before they were born, and my younger son Andy
still does.  He is presently campaigning an EP Datsun Roadster in the Equipe
Rapide events.  I started with a 1961 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia Convertible
imported from Germany by a G.I. and with a 2 liter Okrasa big bore
conversion.  It had 100 horespower and would go 100+ mph.  The first event I
drove in it was 1967 if I remember correctly.  Our club had a points system
for individual improvements like wider wheels, sway bars, manifolds and
carbs, etc.  I always kept the lid shut on the engine so they wouldn't see
the dual downdraft Solexes and put me up a class.  I didn't win a lot, so no
protests.  Things were a lot less complicated back then.  I remember a
friend of mine with a swing axle Spitfire tying his axles down with rope to
meet the safety steward's requirements.  There was a company called
Technitread that recapped the then-new radial tires in addition to the
bias-ply tires that most of us had.  I had the newest technology
fiberglass-belted and aramid-belted tires I could afford, but recap radials
were affordable options.  I still have a new-in-the-box 1970's A.R.C.
capacitive discharge ignition system for a points distributor that I will
sell to the right buyer, and a home-built Water Vapor Injector Kit for
carburetor engines that I no longer use.

Leisure Suit Terry