Re: Internet privacy??? was Re: Here's my letter ...

To: "Bruce Wentzel" <greendotracing@netzero.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Internet privacy??? was Re: Here's my letter ...
From: "Alan Pozner" <apozner@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:16:34 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Wentzel" <greendotracing@netzero.net>

[parts deleted]
> but as was pointed out by
> somebody else regarding last year's discussion of auto insurance, [parts
deleted] ...if you
> spell your name wrong for all autocross events you run so a web search of
your name does not
> find you....[parts deleted]

Apparently Progressive really is cancelling policies for just being on an
autocross result with the car you have insured with them. Both
Honda-Tech.com and Spyderchat (two forums that I frequent) have reports of
members who have lost policies with Progressive.

The question is - what to do about it?

One approach is to attempt to hide the fact that you autocross. This is at
least one part of the internet privacy issue above. IMHO this approach is a
pain (I must make sure my "real" name does not leak out, I must make sure
that my name is spelled correctly on trophies but incorrectly on the
internet) and is immoral (basically you are lying, through omission, to your
insurance company).

I prefer another approach. Be honest with your carrier. If they drop you
find another. If we all get dropped then SCCA can start to offer
auto-insurance as well as event insurance. I am sure that as a 60,000 member
club we could get a hell of a group rate with some carrier.

Regards,
Alan