Is the name a problem?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Is the name a problem?
From: Lloyd Loring <LWLoring@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:26:54 -0500
A few of you have noted that the new Precision Racing Organization
group has a name whose acronym (PRO) can be confused with SCCA PRO
Solo. It's likely this was considered by the owners of PRO, and
dismissed as no great problem. But I wonder if their name will create
future problems for us as autocrossers.

How many regions or clubs, when approaching the owners of a
prospective site, tell them we'll be racing on their property? Yet
that's what the new group boasts with their name. They are offering
"Racing for the rest of us" which may well sound like wheel-to-wheel
to people outside the sport.

If P.R.O. gets the publicity that they and their sponsors want and
need to be successful and profitable, will they create confusion
about our sport? Are we at risk of losing, or not getting, sites we
need?

Lloyd Loring   <LWLoring@attbi.com>