Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: shop manuals
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:07:37 -0500
In a message dated 3/12/2004 6:44:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
golden1@britsys.net writes:

> If I have the vital specs on a 1933 Widget Speedster model A OK, wether I got
>them from the only original service manual in existence, from other Widget
>owners/collectors, from measuring my cherry original Widget, from other online
>sources, reviews in a 1933 edition of Car and Driver, or wherever, I can
>upload them to the database under 1933 Widget Speedster
> model A OK along with where they came from. That then >becomes the defacto
>specifications for determining the >legality of ANY 1933 Widget Speedster
>model A OK. If someone >else decides to run a WS, he can build it to those
>specs knowing he will be legal, or if say he disassembles his >Widget and
>finds by actual measurement the intake valve >diameter is different than what
>the C&D reporter claimed, >that would be a more authoritative source and once
>submitted >would then supercede the C&D spec the following season.

You seem to forget that people lie, cheat and can be misinformed.  Lets say all
the guys in the Widget club swear it has 1.60" intake valves.  Maybe that's
because the OE 1.40" valves have been outrageously expensive for the last 40
years, so they all just use Chevy 1.60" valves.  That doesn't make it right.
What if someone finds a C&D article claiming it's 1.75"  That becomes the new
standard?  And I measure mine and find 2.02" valves.  Now, THAT'S the standard?
 Sounds like the standard just becomes the latest number anyone throws out...
Sorry, I'm not buying it...

Charlie