[Fwd: [RMsolo] Re: Denver autox history question]

To: autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Fwd: [RMsolo] Re: Denver autox history question]
From: "Paul" <pleonard@miraclemethod.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:47:41 -0600
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [RMsolo] Re: Denver autox history question
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:00:10 -0600
From: Bob Klingler <bklingler@adelphia.net>
To: pethier@isd.net
CC: rmsolo@rmsolo.org

Phil,

Chalk up a win for the old memory. In the summer of 1994, autocrossers
did get to use some of that brand new concrete out at DIA for
autocrossing,while the troublesome baggage handling system delayed
opening of the airport. I think that we may did both a Divisional and a
Pro Solo there that year on the huge UPS and FedX concrete parking area.
I have the video which aired on NBC, May 27,1994, the first day we got
to use it for a local event. Part of their video was taken from my car,
a red 94R Miata you probably also saw in the clip. The videographer
wanted me to take he and his shoulder camera for a ride on course, but I
convinced him first take a ride sans the big camera. After that ride, he
understood g-forces better, and decided to just take his video feed off
of the little Canon I already had mounted in my car. <g>

More airport history--after DIA did open, we were fortunate over the
next few years, to get to use various pieces of concrete at the vacated
Stapleton airport for both road racing and autocrossing.  Speedweeks
were born when Tours and Pros sandwiched Solo 1 and lesser activities or
mini-vacations for out-of-towners.  But after a couple of years, the
Denver mayor decided that those 24" thick concrete runways should just
be a huge supply of rock (read that $$$$) instead of a playground for
autocrossers and racers.

     After making due with much lesser sites for many subsequent years,
this year we finally have been allowed back to autocross at DIA, this
time in a great overflow parking lot which is not frequently used.
Concrete is wonderful, so we are hoping to secure this site more often
in the future.

Bob Klingler
     Colorado Springs, CO