Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Way to finance our Solo2.....

To: <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Re: Way to finance our Solo2.....
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchelltx@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:37:50 -0600
Mike King wrote:

> I'm honestly not at liberty to start naming names, but the
understanding is
> that Solo has to be a self-sufficient entity within the SCCA so
it be
> survive within the SCCA banner.

I think that's absolutely the correct outlook. On a personal
level, I wouldn't want my sport to continue exist at the expense
of other activites' profits. So, I'd say get rid of whatever
portions of the program incur excessive costs (e.g. travel by
National staff, specialized equipment, etc.) and return the
conduct of those portions of the program to the Regions, much as
club racing has been done all along.

If the present management of the program can't operate within a
reasonable budget (i.e., expected total revenue), then you have
to consider the possibility that they simply aren't doing their
job. That's how businesses are run, and this portion of the club
must be run as a business if it is to survive.

> And that has become the challenge this year;

Well, it looks as if Pro Solo is outta here, then.

> To make the National Solo
> program a profitable program.

Beyond the Solo2 National Championship (which presumably doesn't
lose money, taken as a standalone), why do we _need_ a "National
Solo program?" We did just fine without one for years prior to
the introduction of National Tours in 1992. If the series can't
be conducted in the black with National staff and equipment, then
it should be easy enough to go back to Divisionals as the
qualifiers for Nationals. There are still plenty of old-timers
around who remember how to do that.
;<)

Jay