Re: radar detector recommendations

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: radar detector recommendations
From: Enno Wein <enno@lsil.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 10:08:19 -0800
I have used a Bell 560i or so since more than 2 years.
Yes - it has saved me from a number of potential tickets,
but its real value is different: It keeps me on my toes
with its frequent, undeterministic false alarms. I have become much more
aware of my speed, the actual speed limits (doesn't help
much if the detector goes off when you don't even know what
the limit is) and the surroundings. The only time I have ever gotten
a ticket was on a sunday several years ago cruising with the
family when I didn't know how fast I was going, nor did I know the speed limit,
nor did I really know what I was doing at all. (Dangerous??)
The cool part about the false alarms is that they usually happen frequently
in areas where speeding limits make sense anyways like in inner cities.
Thus - my recomendation is to get one, but it doesn't really matter which.
The ValentineOne is supposed to be the best detector (in terms of long range,
plus it tells you where the radar source is) - but it's expensive.