Re: Rules -SP

To: jesvilla@gte.net, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rules -SP
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 23:34:53 EST
Jesus writes:

<< It was brought to my attention late last year that on V-8 cars, valve
 covers are restricted to original equipment, even on Stret Prep. cars,
 now I can see why in Stock, but in SP, with everything else
 unrestricted, intakes, exhaust, oil pans, fans and shrouds, and smog
 equipment, it seems a bit redundant, since it's only dress up parts and
 offers no performance advantage, plus it helps keep oil from spilling
 out if you put taller covers on. There's nothing in the rulebook that
 says you can change them, at least as far as I could see, even in
 Prepared, and since you can't do it unless it says so, then you can't. >>

Well, I just looked at section 15 (Prepared) and I don't see where you can.
While I agree with Rick that they should not be allowed in SP, they should be
in Prepared, with all the other mods allowed.  If they really aren't legal,
then using them could be an advantage.  If a better valvetrain which requires
taller valve covers allows better breathing, then it's an advantage.  But I'd
bet a letter to the SEB comes back with a clarification that alternate valve
covers are allowed in Prepared.  Who's going to write it?  Jesse  (same as
Jesus)?

CHD