Re: Oakland lives!

To: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Oakland lives!
From: "Kevin Lahey" <kml@patheticgeek.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:25:51 -0800
In message <200003121824.KAA16834@swan.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Donald R McKenna" writes:
>If you ran at Oakland on 11-7-99 and didn't run yesterday you missed a near
>"re-birth" of that surface.
>
>As the most vocal, of the doom-sayers, I didn't expect that surface to get
>usable far a long time, if ever.
>
>On 11-7 we seriously broke through the slurry in about six places, while
>creating an un-drivable loose gravel surface which resulted in many
>street-tired cars having especially good times (sorta like in the rain),
>especially in later run groups while cars on DOT "race" and real race tires
>"skated" accross the gravel. Yesterday, at the mid-day walkthrough there was
>no evidence of any significant break-throughs and there was noticeably less
>loose stuff than we'd had at mid-day on 11-7.

Hmmm.  I missed 11-7, but I certainly found the surface to be pretty
slippery and tough to figure out.  While walking, it seemed like
the marbles were pretty evenly distributed, so I wasn't careful
enough about getting hard inside on every turn.  After Kevin
Stevens clued me in, I managed to do much better (at least, no
spins).  Argh, what a tough one.

Big thanks to Jim for letting us get in that one fun run;  I felt much
better for picking up a second and a half, after my three dismal runs...

Kevin Lahey
kml@patheticgeek.net