Re Larry and: Oakland lives!

To: Larrybsp@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re Larry and: Oakland lives!
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:05:56 -0800
Larry,

You wrote:
>           Don,
>              Sounds great but can it handle horsepower?

I think Don Campbell, with his new Viper running on 315 Kumho's yesterday,
probably could better answer your question. I suspect he had a hand-full
both because of the newness of the car/tires as well as all that Torque.
However, even with my street tires (which work pretty well on acceleration,
but not as well on braking), getting hooked-up was not a big problem,
particularly when compared to the 11-7 mess.

>Will I still
>light them up if I try to get on it?

Yes, if you get into the juice too early. The surface is far from "perfect"
but the improvement, from 11-7, was so dramatic that in a shorter time than
I could imagine before yesterday, the surface will probably be grippier than
the old surface.

>You mention your alright if you
>stay on line. Whats it like offline like when Corvetttes have to
>follow a front wheel drive group?

There was still quite a bit of loose stuff off-line and, as I alluded to in
my original post, the clean line was not a "classic" late-apex line on some
of the corners. However, by the 7th group, when I (and Don Campbell, also)
ran, the clean line was easilly wide enough for the big cars everywhere.
However if you tried a wide entry, or drove in too hot,and, as a result, got
into any of the loose stuff, it was a slow process getting turned and back
to a place where you could get power down. Nothing new here, although the
severity of the problem is still greater, at this stage of the improvement
process, on the Oakland lot than, say, at 3-Com or Stockton. With the
dramatic reduction in loose stuff yesterday, my guess is that every
succeeding event will be better. Its clear, to me anyway, that the slury has
really cured considerably since Nov. which, in turn, resulted in less
aggregate breaking loose from the slurry binder. The continued weather
curing coupled with parking traffic "packing" the surface down will, most
likely, make for improved conditions each time we use the surface. Since the
next, currently scheduled, Oakland date is 5-28, there'll be 2 1/2 more
months for it to get better.

        Don