Re: Course design and surface was: Re: Larry and: Oakland lives!

To: darren@madams.com, craig_boyle@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Course design and surface was: Re: Larry and: Oakland lives!
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:16:43 EST
In a message dated 3/13/00 10:09:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
darren@madams.com writes:

<< Now, it's still a question whether the
 goal of SFRs Solo 2 program is to make me a national champion someday or
 whether it is to provide the most amount of fun to the most number of
 people.  Personally, I think a little of both is very possible.  >>

I'm not sure we can duplicate National style courses very well at either
Candlestick or Oakland.  At C-Stick, you have to go for bump avoidance, at
Oakland I decided that hard, slow speed corners were not conducive to our
continued use of the lot for an extended period of time.  Now that we know
it's curing, other course designs would be more of a possibility.  As big as
that lot is, it's a challenge to make a course that utilizes most of the
surface, gives a relatively reasonable run time, and isn't full of tedious
corners.  So, I went for max run time with the most fun possible, and course
definition that keeps DNFs (given lots of new autocrossers) to a minimum.
Other event chairs can establish different priorities as they see fit.
Darren, when are you chairing?  :-)

CHD