Re: Kumho Tires

To: Larrybsp@aol.com
Subject: Re: Kumho Tires
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:20:50 -0800
At 01:03 PM 3/13/00 EST, Larrybsp@aol.com wrote:

>            I was inspecting my Corvette yesterday when I found one
>of my Kumho 315/35-17 V700 tires had split its tread, from the outer
>edge to near the center and from the inner edge to approximately a
>quarter of the way in.

This happened to one of my Kumhos after only a few events (maybe 2-4?) on a
brand new full-tread set. I don't know if it really matters or not, but
this set came from TireRack as 3 marked left, and one marked right - the
one that was running on the wrong side of the car was the one that split.
I put it on the other side of the car, ran a couple of summer Sacramento
events, and the split pretty much closed up.  After that, I was able to
wear them down to the cords without it splitting again...

This was all at autocrosses, not on the track, so your mileage may vary...

Jim Ochi
jochi@ricochet.net