Re: Success of the Rookie Program

To: Jerry Mouton <jerry@moutons.org>
Subject: Re: Success of the Rookie Program
From: Kit Wetzler <kitwetzler@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 17:01:42 -0700
When I suggested not having a rookie program for the slush, maybe I was
being selfish.  I wasn't suggesting doing away with the rookie program
entirely.  I recognize and accept it as important.

We need to decide what is more important FOR THE SLUSH SERIES:

Having a points race?

-or -

Gaining some new members?

I know that we'll miss out on a few new people if we go without a rookie
class, but will they come back the next season knowing that there WILL
be a stronger, more comprehensive rookie program?  Doing away with
rookie classes for the slush doesn't mean that rookies have nowhere to
run, it means that we just don't have the overhead associated with
running those classes.

Rookies will still have a place to run, they just won't necessarily
receive the recognition for doing so, during the slush series.

My suggestion of doing away with the rookie classes FOR SLUSH, was based
on the assumption that the overhead associated with that would buy us
more time for a fun points race.  Then, towards next year we can
implement a new rookie program, such as what Jerry was suggesting.  (and
yes, that does mean that I'll volunteer to help out with it.)

        -kit