Re: Success of the Rookie Program

To: Toy4speed@aol.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Success of the Rookie Program
From: "Steven J. Sherwood" <ssher@home.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 18:09:15 -0700
Lets not consider using the BMWCCA autox as an
example of what to do.  They are so messed up
it is not even funny.

Speaking as someone who just got back into autox,
I guess I have a few comments on the Rookie program.

I did not, per se, really take advantage of the
rookie classes when I started autocrossing again.
I competed in one or two slush events as CSP-R...but
then quickly went to regular CSP when I decided
R compound tires were necessary to get even close
to people who really knew how to drive.  I would
consider myself as one that was NOT included in
the rookie program.  The problem is that many
rookies don't even know what "being in the rookie
program" really means.  I don't think I do even
now.

I have had individuals like Josh Sirota, Ben Martinez,
Durk Edwards, and Peter Mottaz ride with me and
give me pointers...but no where near what I really
think I needed.  Ben has probably been the most
helpful in my quest to be decent in autocrossing.
I do appreciate all the help that these guys have
contributed.

I also feel compelled to comment on the potential
efforts to turn people away from events.  If we
want SFR to continue to be successful and field
viable competitors for Nationals we have to make
sure the program nutures the new blood..the new
people that hear about our events and come out
to try their luck.

I think the best way to limit events is to just
close down registration earlier (11am? 10:30am?).
If people want to make the trek to the event..they
have to show up early to be able to be included
in the group of people running that day.  Yes,
one could charge newcomers a bit more money to
run...but I don't think this will help appreciably.

I also think that the slush series will be less
attended..so we may be ok during this fall
season.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents worth...I will shut up
now.

Steve S.
#47 CSP