RE: M3 BHP?

To: Kirk Meline <KMeline@iscribe.com>, navid@interwoven.com,
Subject: RE: M3 BHP?
From: Jim Ochi <jochi@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:11:34 -0800
No, Kirk, that's the truth.  Can't get that much extra power out of an M3
without doing stuff that's not SP legal.  Probably the highest power
normally aspirated M3 that I've heard of had an engine built by TC Kline in
it - he was putting out around 275-285 HP at the flywheel.  Remember, this
isn't the euro engine which puts out 321HP - the US model uses a bored and
stroked motor out of the 325/328.  So, it's pretty much tweaked as much as
it can be from the factory.  Common mods only get the 95 engine up to
around 255-265hp, and do even worse with the 96+ 3.2L engine.

Do some homework before you start calling people liars.  Give TC Kline a
call, or check out their website (http://www.tcklineracing.com.  Or call
Turner Motorsports (http://www.turnermotorsports.com) - there are even some
dyno charts on their website.  These are two of the top BMW tuners in the
US - ask them how much power they can get out of a SP legal M3.

Tell you what.  If you think I'm lying, we'll put my car on a dyno.  If
it's making more than 270, I'll pay the dyno fee.  If it isn't, you pay
it.  I'm sure Navid would be willing to do the same.  I think you could
even get Kit to do the same, too.  Results to be posted in a public forum.

Sheesh.

Jim