RE: hp, torque, and autox

To: "James Creasy" <jcre@pacbell.net>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: hp, torque, and autox
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:58:04 -0800
a)  Propulsion isn't everything in autox.

b)  If your gear ratios are tight enough to keep in the powerband, it doesn't
really matter
     whether it is down low or up high.

c)  What ultimately matters, torque-wise, is not whether it's high or low but
how wide it
     is.  As you keenly observe, at least in Stock we have to live with the
factory gears.
     How much of 20-70mph is within the engine's powerband is the key.  Points
deducted
     for having to shift to keep it there.

That's why I love the LS1 and Viper motors - the torque curve is so flat that
they're at 80% of peak torque throughout almost that whole speed range.  Doesn't
get much better than that without going electric.

KeS