Re: Annual Tech Inspection

To: Smokerbros@aol.com
Subject: Re: Annual Tech Inspection
From: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:48:31 -0800 (PST)
Although it would save much time and confusion, I would be against it for
these reasons:

Stock cars age, and break stuff on the street.  Case I remember is Tim
Myers old ES Escort got bumped out of tech for having a loose rear wheel
or something.  When they jacked it up to inspect it, they found out that
part of the suspension (a arm?) had come loose... in fact it was very
dangerous to drive on the street and could have been disasterous on the
course.

Mod cars (and prepared's) shake themselves to pieces.  If my experience
at the Pro Finale taught me anything is that a thorough tech inspection
doesn't even catch a lot of stuff, but it's better than nothing.  Our
cars are often held together with duct tape, and having the tech folks
poke and prod and shake them certainly doesn't hurt.

People change and upgrade cars throughout the year.  Any newly added
item should void the annual tech, but how do you enforce that?

I know that for the F500s that I used to crew for road racing we used
to get the car all polished up and bolted down for the first race to
get the annual tech... but then as the season went on, even though we
checked every bolt with a marker paint pen between session we knew we
were slipping and a fresh set of tech eyes wouldn't hurt us.

My 2 cents...

        --Darren