Does this happen to you?

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Does this happen to you?
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 12:34:28 -0800
So Lucy (Miata) and I were driving home from my Russian tutor's house in San
Francisco last Tuesday. I stopped by the Chevron on 19th to get some gas,
and also some air for Lucy's tires.

First, I must say that keeping your tires inflated is indeed a "good" thing.
I was amazed by the difference when I pulled out of the parking lot. I can
steer again!

But what really stumped me was one of Chevron's employees who was walking
around, making sure we were all happy customers. I pulled up to the air
thingamabopper, I grab the hose, I've got my tire gauge, I'm filling the
tires, and he says, "You sure you know what you're doing?"

I looked around, confused, wondering if I forgot something. "Oh, am I
supposed to pay or something?"

"No ma'am. By law, all air and water must be free for the customer."

Huh, okay, so I continue with my tire filling.

"You're sure your tires need air?"

"Uh, yeah, I'm pretty sure."

Well, he just kept hovering over me, offering more useless advice, or at
least advice I was ignoring. "Sure you don't need any help?"

"No, really. I'm fine."

"Your tires look fine to me. I don't know if you really need to fill 'em
up."

Given that my Brookstone tire gauge said they were down to twenty pounds, I
knew he was just plain wrong. "No, they're pretty low," I said.

"Well, which gauge are you going by?"

"Mine works pretty well."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"You know, after you've driven a mile, you won't get an accurate reading."

"Look!" I said. "I race cars, ALL RIGHT!"

"Oh, okay, take it easy. So you know what you're doing then."

Days like this I can't wait for the next autocross.

Shees!

Katie K.