SD National Tour advice

To: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@Roche.COM>,
Subject: SD National Tour advice
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:24:02 -0500

Message text written by "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}"

"Sender: ba-autox-owner@autox.team.net
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on going to the San Diego tour event in March.  I was
wondering
if those who have experience at Qualcomm can shed some light on the surface
there.  I have seen some pictures and it appears to have many large
undulations a la 3Com, but is it anywhere near as bumpy?  How about grip
and
tire wear?  I'm just curious.

Since this will be my first National Tour event, any other advice (work
assignments, unlucky numbers, logistics) from the seasoned veterans out
there would really help too.

Thanks!
Peter"

        The people are wonderful.
Assuming we use the same site as last year, the site is smooth asphalt of
recent vintage. It is not bumpy. It is mostly a slow roll and rising kind
of deal. In some parts you will climb a fairly steep hill but that is
dependent upon how it is laid out.
Sometimes you feel like you're on a roller coaster.
The site is very large and the course designer(s), like designers
everywhere, feel challenged/obligated to fill every last nook and cranny
with course. The course will feature very gentle turns and be wide. Because
it is so large (and smooth), the speed levels are the highest I've ever
driven in an SCCA autocross event. Only AAS events at Crows Landing were
quicker.
        Because of the slightly higher speeds, horsepower is a major
factor.
        Noise control is VERY strict. (We're buying a new muffler for this
year.) As I recall it's 93 dbA, considerably under the 95 dbA most of our
cars meet. Because of the sound limit, you won't see Chris O'Donnell's D
Mod Lotus Elan. He's been banned. Not just the car. Both car and driver.
Chris takes it with good humor and even showed up two years ago to wander
around and say "Hello."

--John Kelly