Re: SD National Tour advice

To: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@Roche.COM>,
Subject: Re: SD National Tour advice
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 11:17:46 -0800
To Peter and anyone else contemplating going to the SD Tour for the first
time,

Peter wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I'm planning on going to the San Diego tour event in March.  I was wondering
>if those who have experience at Qualcomm can shed some light on the surface
>there.  I have seen some pictures and it appears to have many large
>undulations a la 3Com, but is it anywhere near as bumpy?  How about grip and
>tire wear?  I'm just curious.

The "topography" is very interesting. The lot used last year (my first time
at Qual-Com) is a very good size and has a significant slope to it that
varys from nearly flat on one end to a very significant angle at the other
end.

Comparing it to 3-Com, there are also some very noticeable "ups and downs"
on parts of the lot. The surface is asphalt with some variations in traction
but, generally we felt the traction was good. The weekend we ran was warm,
although not hot, so that could have helped the traction impressions I have.

My tire wear measurements, on Hoosier autocross radials, indicate relatively
high SD tire wear. The wear rate was about the same as 3-Com, about 150%
greater than McClellan asphalt, and about twice the wear rate of Mather or
the '00 Nationals. Other than Mather and the Nationals, I don't have any
other Hoosier cement measurements, but from previous tire wear info, the SD
surface wear would, probably, be less than Atwater, Lemore or McCLellan
cement surfaces. BTW, our tire wear rate at the recent, 1-28-01, Oakland
event was about 25% greater than my previously recorded 3-Com wear rates.
(Don't have wear data from last Sunday, at 3-Com, as, we ran "rains".)

The recent Oakland measurements were really surprising, for a couple of
reasons. First, the Oakland wear rate (before the 7-99 slury) was only about
half what we'd experience at 3-Com. Secondly, the only time, before 1-28,
we'd run Hoosiers at Oakland, on the "new" surface, was 11-99 and the wear
was hardly measurable.

>Since this will be my first National Tour event, any other advice (work
>assignments, unlucky numbers, logistics) from the seasoned veterans out
>there would really help too.

First, get your Motel reservation now. More importantly, plan to run the
Friday practice. By arriving early and running the practice event you get
"comfortable" with some of the people, the site location, the lot itself,
the restaurants, etc. so, on "race-day" you will have fewer distractions and
can, more easily, concentrate on your performance.

        Don