Re: acceptable alignment tolerances?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: acceptable alignment tolerances?
From: "Rob Weinstock" <weinstro@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:20:00
>my desired caster was 3.5 degrees.  the alignment place said the closest
>they could get it was 3.0 on one side and 3.7 on the other.  other shops
>have had no problem, and this is well within the adjustments on my car.
>
>i think i want to go and tell them that this is not good enough (as my car
>felt terrible sunday), but i want to make sure that a normal shop should be
>able to do better than this.
>
>i paid $85 for this two wheel alignment at Auto Options in berkeley.

I have a similar mismatch on my car. Some cars are designed with slightly
different caster settings in order to compensate for road crown.

By "adjusting" and taking advantage of clearances and tolerances, you might
be able to get it to 3.5 degrees each side. This may require a trip to a
frame alignment shop, or a blacksmith, however.

Rob