Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)

To: marka@telerama.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock Classes (was: Cheap Gas)
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:41:52 EDT
marka@telerama.com writes:

> Its not an ideal world though, and front swaybars are relatively
> inexpensive.

Escept that some people have 3-4 bars @ a couple hundred dollars each.  One
desirable F-body bar is $440.00

> I haven't seen good data that indicates that weight == cost for alternate
> wheels.  If the goal is to keep costs down, I think this is a poor
> approach.  And with CCW's and the like only costing $400/each max or so,
> we're again not talking about saving a heck of a lot of money.

I disagree, the lighter wheels almost always cost substantially more.
Besides, if there is no real advantage (weight), there is no incentive to
spend the big bucks.

> one of these are workable except maybe A), and that has the same problems
> as C). Limit the adjustments and now you've gotta spend more on re-valving
> / having alternate shocks.  The only way you're gonna fix this is to have
> a claiming rule at divisionals and above, but without a series points
> championship it wouldn't work all that well IMHO.

Claiming is ugly and hard to make work.  Even if you re-valve an allowed
shock, I doubt you'd be at $1500/corner on a Stock Miata (the price I've been
told Penskes cost)

> Agreed, as long as you can still get rubber lines or provide a way for

If you have a car with no rubber brake hoses available, I'm guessing you need
to buy another car.

CHD