Re: Speaking of Honda's and New Engines...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speaking of Honda's and New Engines...
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:43:44 EDT
Debbie writes:

> My 1988 Honda CRX (bought new) rolled over to 222,222 miles today.  Body is
> clean with NO  rust.  Engine is running great but I think that I might blow
> it up autocrossing it.  Interior could stand to be ripped out (10 years
> worth of carting around a 97 pound Chocolate Labrador Retriever  ;~).
> Drives like a kart...could be a fantastic ax'er (IMHO)!
>
> I'm thinking of exploring the possiblility of turning this car into a
> dedicated autocrosser.  Unfortunately, I like to delude myself into thinking
> that I know how to drive cars :),  but know diddly about working on
> them...Anybody have any ideas on how much it might cost me to make this car
> into the race car it DESERVES to be?  And who I might approach with this

What model is it?  Si?  HF?  The best combination for CSP would be an HF (or
"DX") with an Si motor in it, and you'd leave the interior in it...  An Si
would be just a little heavier, but okay.  If you want to make it into a
Prepared car, that's lots of work.  Talk to Ed Chang at TwinCam Motorsports,
in either case.  If you're thinking Prepared, talk to Chris Kannan about how
much work is involved.

As for the motor, do a compression and leakdown test, if they're okay do the
rod bearings and run it!

Charlie