Re: Leasing Versus Buying

To: atabacco@california.com, mrclem@telocity.com
Subject: Re: Leasing Versus Buying
From: Dougie360@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 12:14:16 EDT
Unless I'm doing the math wrong, the reason I leased my SAAB was that it was
cheaper than buying.

Here is a current ad running in the papers:
2001 SAAB 9-3-SE Convertible  MSRP $41,770

Lease:  499/month 36 months
$3492 lease inception: includes 1st month lease payment, sec dep, acq fee

Option to purchase at end of lease for: $20,049

Therefore, cost of lease = 3492 + (35 x 499) = 20,957

If I intended to buy the car, I would add the 20,049 which then totals
$41,006.

This looks like less then the MSRP.  Not to mention adding in the time value
of money (i.e. james' point about investing the upfront cash in a money
market)

Looks like a 0% interest charge.

Why would anyone buy if there was anything higher than a 0% interest for
financing?

Doug
9-3 Viggen

In a message dated 7/11/01 8:40:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,