Re: First event, can't wait for the next...

To: the_brain7@hotmail.com, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First event, can't wait for the next...
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 01:19:37 EDT
Arnold writes:

> -Once I pick a number, do I have to stick with it for the rest of the season?

No, you can pick any number of numbers (that aren't already taken...)

> -I classified my car as HS-N. It's a '97 BMW 318ic. Some people thought G
> might've been the correct class. I used the specs at the SCCA site to figure
> it out. Am I correct?

Yep.  You're right, H/S...

   > I noticed non-SCCA autocross events on the calendar, am I allowed to
> attend
> or do I need to be a member (A.A.S., NASA/X)?

You don't have to join NASA or AAS.  In fact, they don't even have members...

  > Any advice on choosing a helmet? I wear glasses and was told open-face
> helmets offer better visibility...

I wear glasses and prefer open face helmets because it's easier with the
glasses, and when it's really hot, closed face helmets are hotter (IMHO.)  I
usually go to motorcycle stores...  Road Rider on Monterey Hwy. in San Jose,
and Santa Clara Cycle Accessories on El Camino would be good choices.

   > Where do I figure out how I'm doing versus other novices in my class? My
> PAX
> index is .781. It means nothing to me at the moment.

It will when you get your results.  Your time is multiplied by .781, other
entrants' times are multiplied by their class PAX and then those indexed
times are compared to each other within your class.

   > How long do you think I'm gonna be able to use my current tires before I
> have
> to get a new set? My tires didn't look so good after today. Will the shreds
> affect its street performance?

Well, GGF is a little tough on tires.  They may get a bit noisier on the
highway.   I don't think you'll notice anything else, unless you flat spot
them under braking, then you might get some vibration...  It's a part of
autocrossing.  It's also why most of us get a set just to abuse.

Charlie Davis