Re: First event, can't wait for the next...

To: "The Brain7" <the_brain7@hotmail.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First event, can't wait for the next...
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:49:14 -0700
> was the track. Lots of gravel. :-( oh well...) On all of my runs, I could
> easily point out the areas where I misjudged/miscalculated or just plain did
> the wrong thing. I know that if I had remained focused on the course and
> concentrated on my driving, I would've made better times. At the next event,
> I'm letting someone else drive my car at least once. Any volunteers? It's an
> underpowered beemer. ;-) I just hope that I don't forget everything I picked
> up today by then.

Well, I haven't worn my "Race Car Slut" shirt yet, so if your 318 drives
anything like an M3 I'll be glad to hop in.  ;)

> Questions:
> -Once I pick a number, do I have to stick with it for the rest of the
season?

No, but if you do pick one and want to keep it, there is a sign-up list where
you can reserve it.

> -I noticed non-SCCA autocross events on the calendar, am I allowed to attend
> or do I need to be a member (A.A.S., NASA/X)?

As Scot said.  The concrete surfaces at Marina and Mather will feel quite
different than GGF, you may get more tire wear depending on your driving
style, but it will probably be more even.

> -Any advice on choosing a helmet? I wear glasses and was told open-face
> helmets offer better visibility...

Cheap HJC *if* you only plan to use it for autocross.  If you're interested in
open track events the open-face "M" rated helmets are often not allowed, and I
don't recommend open-face helmets for motorcycle use, either.

> -Where do I figure out how I'm doing versus other novices in my class? My
PAX
> index is .781. It means nothing to me at the moment.

When the results are posted on the web site, check there.  Jerry has a list
linked to the results showing how everyone does against their indices at each
event.  Couple of notes:  PAX is a statistical value based on National level
competition, so we're really cheating by using it to score a single event -
use it as a guide but don't get carried away with minor variances.  Also, your
numbers will suck overall because you are on street tires - compare only to
your fellow Novices and the Street Tire class.

> -How long do you think I'm gonna be able to use my current tires before I
have
> to get a new set? My tires didn't look so good after today. Will the shreds
> affect its street performance?

Shoulder wear generally doesn't end up affecting street life, because that's
not where the tires wear out first on the street.  There are things you can do
to minimize wear, both with alignment and driving technique.

> ps. Thanks, Kevin, for encouraging me to run instead of spectating.

Told ya.

KeS