RE: whats the latest on brake pads?

To: "'James Creasy'" <black94pgt@pacbell.net>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: whats the latest on brake pads?
From: Geoff Wing <GeoffW@simultrans.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:40:24 -0700
Well, in feeding my new addiction to track days I've been
experimenting with dual use pads too - these for my 99 Miata.
Here's my experience - your mileage may vary....

Mazda OEM: OK for autox. Some people report fade on the track. I
never tracked them, so don't know.

EBC Greenstuff: Great, almost perfect for autox. High coefficient
of friction (advertised at 0.46 mu) means reduced brake pedal
pressure and easier heel / toe work. They bite very well when
cold. But, some people and even EBC sales literature say that
these don't last on the track. I never tracked them. Other
benefits: zero rotor wear, just as advertised. Brake dust very
easy to clean off.

EBC Redstuff: Advertised at .30 cold to .33 mu hot. OK for autox.
When cold, they felt like the OEM pads. When hot, they grip very
well - better than OEM -  but less than the Greens. On the track
they feel great and don't fade, but wear quickly - front pads look
to last only about 200 to 300 moderately mild track miles. Other
factors: zero rotor wear just as advertised, and brake dust cleans
easily

Porterfield R4 Carbon-Kevlar: Advertised for track use only. I use
them at track events, and for driving to / from events. At track
temperatures, these are magic with their 0.51 mu coefficient of
friction. Very easy to  modulate. Long lasting. But of course,
they suck when cold, giving loud grinding noises and being rather
aggressive to the rotors on the street. Not for autox - you'd
never get them up to working temperature.

The bottom line? I have sort of given up on finding the magic
autox / track use pad. Now I prefer EBC Greenstuff for autox/
street, and change to the Porterfield R4's for track. EBC Redstuff
works well enough for both uses and saves the pain of frequent pad
switches, but be prepared to consume many sets.

Geoff Wing
1999 Mazda Miata 10AE
SFR SCCA BS #73
"Driving while autoxicated"