Re: Convention Solo 2 topics

To: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Convention Solo 2 topics
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:02:52 -0800
On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 12:08:27PM -0500, John F. Kelly Jr. wrote:
>         In Stock: Why are BMWs and Hondas in so many classes? Does it
> relate to potential, sponsorships? Does SCCA "follow the money?"

I'm not sure that I understand the question.  My initial reaction is
that Honda has many different models which are popular for
autocrossing.  When there is a car that's a popular choice for
autocrossing, it should be placed in a class in which it can compete.
You can't just put a Civic in the same class as the Integra Type R.

Aren't Mazdas and Toyotas in a lot of classes, too?

BMW:       SS,AS,BS,CS,DS,   FS,GS,HS (8 classes)
Toyota:       AS,BS,CS,DS,ES,FS,GS,HS (8 classes)
Mazda:     SS,   BS,CS,   ES,   GS,HS (6 classes)
Chevrolet: SS,AS,BS,         FS,GS,HS (6 classes)
Honda:           BS,   DS,ES,   GS,HS (5 classes)
Acura:        AS,      DS,      GS,HS (Honda/Acura: 6 classes)

What is wrong with having cars in many classes, per se, if the cars
are classed where they are competetive with other cars?  To me, it's just a
sign of diversity in the product line.  Lotus tends to make primarily
small sporty cars, so they only appear in a few classes towards the
top of the stock classification system.  Buick doesn't make small
sporty cars, so they occupy a couple of classes towards the slow end.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94