Re: TECH AT BOONDOGGLE BY THE BAY

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TECH AT BOONDOGGLE BY THE BAY
From: Vernon Head <vhead@radar.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:14:13 -0800
on 11/5/01 2:31 PM, Kelly, Katie at kkelly@spss.com wrote:

> Okay, Arnold, I will try.
>
> Ahem.
>
> Vernon?
>
> Katie

Thanks a lot, Katie!

The dictionary defines the word boondoggle as a "useless or wasteful project
or activity". This is a great description of Opening Day, in my opinion. Way
too many people, way too little time, and inept chairs (I'm speaking for
myself) have always given me this sense of comedy surrounding this event. So
Katie and I were talking one day about a name, and it just came out of
nowhere.

What we are really doing with this name is masking our feelings of fear and
doubt with humor. Will group 8 get only 2 runs? Or none? Will run group 6
have 150 drivers? Will the timers go down for 45 minutes? Who knows? But at
the end of the day it will just be another Boondoggle.

Alright, it's a dumb name. But it's fun.

-Vernon