Re: Terribly expensive sport

To: Sean Bradshaw <sean@spintec.org>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Terribly expensive sport
From: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 09:00:48 -0700
    A fellow named Robert Nielsen, San Jose, CA, in an Opel GT won E Stock
in 1973. Following the idea that a new class is the best place to take a
shot at winning, 1973 was the first year of Nationals. Nielsen never ran
another autocross after that, that I know of. That is also probably the last
year an Opel won a championship.  A little late for the rest of us.
    In many cases, the folks who consider themselves nationally competitive
will change cars every two years, probably when their lease runs out. (G)
    So you really need to toss in the cost of a new car!
    Many who've won nationals chased after that win for many years before
winning the first one. An example of the tenacity required is Kevin
McCormick, who entered his first national in 1992, placing 28th in D Stock.
He came back every year after that and finally won last year, 2002, in D
Stock. There were several car changes along the way, in the mix: an Integra
Type R and a Miata, for 2. The closest he came before that was in 1998,
second in B Stock in a Miata.
--Pat Kelly