Re: Terribly expensive sport

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Terribly expensive sport
From: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 01:55:31 -0700
I've never done the math in my 16 years of autocrossing, at least, not until
this year.  This year it started feeling very expensive!  I guessed it's the
big 18" tires (over $1000/set).  Rex and I have exhausted three sets so far
this season.

We have calculated that for all of these Atwater events, it costs roughly
$20/run in tires alone!  It would be cheaper at a less abrasive site.  Add in
$50 for towing round-trip, and another $50 in entry fees, and we're talking
about a one day AAS event that really costs $300 (10 runs @ $20 each, $50 for
gas (towing), and $50 for entries).

I had no idea this sport was so expensive!  That doesn't include any
car-related fees at all!

Josh