Re: Theory of relative- was Terribly expensive sport

To: "Lolita Adrien" <lomike@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Theory of relative- was Terribly expensive sport
From: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: 27 May 2003 16:00:51 -0000
An incredibly valid point.  I'll share a relativity story...

My other new hobby is playing the Violin.  I'm on a mailing list for adult
beginners and one guy came on complaining that the $49 violin outfit he
purchased on eBay would require at minimum a $25 set of strings to make it even
playable, and why is this hobby so damn expensive, etc. etc.  A guy replied
exactly the same thing, it's all relative.  Turns out he's an autocrosser too,
out of South Carolina or somewhere (Bob Rogers?).  He was complaining that a
set of autocross tires is nearly $1000 these days and can be ruined by one bad
flatspot.  Another guy replied that $1000 is nothing, his last violin was $250K
and he still needs to upgrade from there to remain competetive for the
orchestra seats.

I cringed at paying $185 for a SET of tires for the Pro. :)  Any compound from
any of four manufacturers.  I put the kart in the back of my cheap 6 cylinder
Dakota and got 19mpg the whole way down to Atwater and back.  I don't
understand why people complaining about costs don't just run F125.  The shock
revalving bills are much cheaper too!

  --Darren

p.s. They have annuals in England :)

"Lolita Adrien" <lomike@earthlink.net> wrote ..