Battery

To: "Autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>, "Barry Spencer"
Subject: Battery
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:21:46 -0400

Message text written by "Barry Spencer"

"When the battery is in the passenger compartment, does it have to be in a
box?? Even if the battery is a gel type.

Thanks

Barry"

Suggest you double check me on this. As I read the current Solo II rules
there is no longer any reference to the requirement for a "marine-type
box." And that applies to Stock, Street Prepared, and Modified. Maybe I
should say it appears to no longer apply.

If you're using a gel cell-type, it seems to me you just need to be sure
it's bolted down properly. As you well know, the battery in our 7 is in the
passenger seat area and does have a plastic box over it. I found the
gel-cell battery that fit (at $60) doesn't have the same capacity as a
regular Sears garden tractor battery (at $34!) and that's what we use. I
like the cover if only because it assure no piece of metal will fgall on
the connectors and create a spark.

--John Kelly