Re: numbers

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: numbers
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:35:34 EST
pault151@comcast.net writes:

> The Kellys have more or less convinced me that the rules do NOT require one
> number a car differently when it is run with the same number, in the same run
> group, when the only change is that the alternate driver is in Ladies.  And
> they should know.
>
> The rules do not so require.  If the driver is in the same class, sure enough
> a number change must happen, but not if in Ladies.  This didn't keep the
> trailer crew, admittedly not all major league veterans, from confusing the
> two
> such drivers of a nicely prepared CR-X which was well festooned with various
> logos and stickers, the only difference being the letter L.  It didn't help
> at
> ALL that the flagging crews didn't manage to pick up on the difference
> either.
> Sure, it's event 1 of the season.  So allow me to suggest adding this at
> least
> to the Rookie orientation if not the reminder for ALL of what information
> needs to be called in!

The assumption has always been that 1) the L would be positioned and colored
so as to contrast and be noticeable and 2) workers would notice it as such.

> That said, a (good natured) pox upon the squatter who decided that he could
> take #35 STS when it was only moments departed from my car upon me elevating
> it (?) to STX.  Somehow I can't believe that he knew that I was changing
> class
> and that I wouldn't have had a beef if I hadn't changed classes.  It _is_ the
> same run group, and the announcer _did_ initially call out his car as mine
> upon reading the card after glancing at the number presented.  So I know it
> was almost a big problem.  Which brings up my question (gooood, he does have
> question!!) The Permanent Number binder at the reg. table is not listed by
> class, but instead had STS, STX, STS-N, STX-N, SM, SM-L, and who knows what
> other classes listed  >>on the same set of pages behind a single tab<<.
> Perhaps someone thought to subtly discourage multiple cars in a single run
> group from having the same number?  But if it isn't forbidden, it's allowed,
> so this should not be so.  FWIW I did go through at registration and
> re-signed-up for my number in STX, and there was no request from #35 STS to
> take that number, at that time (11:30 on Sunday).  Be warned, I will defend
> that number tooth and Sharpie!  And as Charlie has pointed out, esss teee
> esss
> and esss teee ecks sound mightly similar when coming over the event radio.  I
> just can NOT get behind ST-A and  ST-B, Junior and Senior, or any of the
> other

If cars in different classes actually all have their class designations as
well as numbers displayed (how many cars at SFR events have numbers, but no
class designation?) AND those designations have a significant difference (IMO,
the
ST/SM run group does not) then cars in different classes in the same run
group could have the same number.  I do feel that the person who had #35 in
that
group last year (Paul) should have priority in using it this year...

Charlie