numbers

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: numbers
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:54:55 -0800
As a trailer worker for Round 1, I'll add my $.02:
The Kellys have more or less convinced me that the rules do NOT require one to
number a car differently when it is run with the same number, in the same run
group, when the only change is that the alternate driver is in Ladies.  And
they should know.

The rules do not so require.  If the driver is in the same class, sure enough
a number change must happen, but not if in Ladies.  This didn't keep the
trailer crew, admittedly not all major league veterans, from confusing the two
such drivers of a nicely prepared CR-X which was well festooned with various
logos and stickers, the only difference being the letter L.  It didn't help at
ALL that the flagging crews didn't manage to pick up on the difference either.
Sure, it's event 1 of the season.  So allow me to suggest adding this at least
to the Rookie orientation if not the reminder for ALL of what information
needs to be called in!

That said, a (good natured) pox upon the squatter who decided that he could
take #35 STS when it was only moments departed from my car upon me elevating
it (?) to STX.  Somehow I can't believe that he knew that I was changing class
and that I wouldn't have had a beef if I hadn't changed classes.  It _is_ the
same run group, and the announcer _did_ initially call out his car as mine
upon reading the card after glancing at the number presented.  So I know it
was almost a big problem.  Which brings up my question (gooood, he does have a
question!!) The Permanent Number binder at the reg. table is not listed by
class, but instead had STS, STX, STS-N, STX-N, SM, SM-L, and who knows what
other classes listed  >>on the same set of pages behind a single tab<<.
Perhaps someone thought to subtly discourage multiple cars in a single run
group from having the same number?  But if it isn't forbidden, it's allowed,
so this should not be so.  FWIW I did go through at registration and
re-signed-up for my number in STX, and there was no request from #35 STS to
take that number, at that time (11:30 on Sunday).  Be warned, I will defend
that number tooth and Sharpie!  And as Charlie has pointed out, esss teee esss
and esss teee ecks sound mightly similar when coming over the event radio.  I
just can NOT get behind ST-A and  ST-B, Junior and Senior, or any of the other
suggestions I've heard so far.

PaulT