Re: How accurate are our timers?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How accurate are our timers?
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 2 Jun 2004 05:55:39 -0000
On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:09:22 -0700 (PDT) Ms Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> If the timers are not accurate, then how do you know
> that you're within .1 in 25 or any amount of runs?
> They could be wrong on every run.

First, let me point out a couple of things. I did not claim nor agrue that the
timers are, in fact, inaccurate.
I asked how accurate they are, and provided a basis for suspecting they might
have an occasional problem with consistency in tripping. My basis was neither
compelling nor conclusive, nor did I expect any one to perceive it as an
attempt at such. It was an academic question. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Secondly, I have received some off line responses to my claim that I can run
consistently within a tenth. Let me point out with regard to that that I never
claimed I could produce "my best possible time" repeatedly within a tenth. Test
drivers are not asked to drive a car as fast as it can go but as fast they can
while maintaining consistent lap times. The purpose of this is to avoid driver
induced variability muddying the emperical results reflecting changes to the
car. Last year in Sacramento I concentrated exclusively on this approach in
order to be able to better judge how changes in driving technique on certain
parts of the course affect time, which is what I have been playing with this
year. It should also prove useful when I embark on testing changes to the car's
setting. That's scheduled for when I get the green car back this fall and plan
to also resume pushing my driving ability again.

Now, having said that, I find myself wondering if there is still a reason to
answer the posed hypothetical. I suspect not, but will glady comply if advised
otherwise.

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com