Re: How accurate are our timers?

To: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Subject: Re: How accurate are our timers?
From: Stephen Bowlus <chezbowlus@goldrush.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 07:11:20 -0700
You should talk to your friendly neighborhood statistician, but here
are my $.02:

By "reproduce within a tenth" let's say you mean "the standard
deviation from the average is +/- 0.1 sec".  That would put ~ 68% of
runs in this window.  Assuming only that all runs are normally
distributed about the mean, it is a safe bet that 1 in 25 would be 3 SD
(0.3 sec) different.

If by "reproduce within a tenth" you mean _every_ run except the
oddball is +/- 0.1 sec ... this would require (arguably) 68% (or 90%)
of runs to be +/- 0.05 (0.03) sec of the mean, again assuming only
normal distribution of error.  That is pretty hard to swallow, hence my
first assumption (which only needs to be chewed very well).

This argument is independent of the source of the variation (lights,
clock, lead foot, warm tires, butterflies in South America).

sb