Recap - Two seater street/stock class car

To: "bay area team.net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Recap - Two seater street/stock class car
From: Patrick Jones <pcjones33@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:52:37 -0700 (PDT)
One of the great things about being involved in
motorsports around here is there are so many
knowledgeable people willing to share their
experiences.  Thanks for all the info and here is a
recap of all I learned that maybe others can make use
of too:

Mazda Miata

Hands down this was the most popular car for those
that responded.  Although everyone who responded
really liked their cars, the Miata owners seemed to
have a great passion for theirs that came out in the
emails.  Fun, reliable, cargo room, and easy to
autocross was clear.  Emphasis on FUN.  '99-'00 models
seemed to be the years to buy with the Sport package,
Torsen diff, and 5-speed transmission.  The 6-speed
Anniversary/Limited Edition models were mentioned as
great on the street with more comforts, but for
autocross, you may be shifting from 2-3-2 more than
you would like.  '99-'00 models can be had for
$10-$12K but Sport packages are hard to find.  No one
complained that the Miata had too much power, and that
was the only down side to some people.  You're not
going to break your neck putting the
pedal-to-the-metal in this 1.8 liter, 140HP
skateboard.  Clearly the car to have in C-Stock

Honda S2000

The Honda seems to be a real drivers car.   Unlike the
Miata, it's high revving engine will get the attention
of your neck muscles when you feel the need for speed.
 I have been told the S2000 handles very well, but you
need to be paying attention, especially in the wet.
The Honda has basically no performance options from
the factory, so all cars come pretty much the same as
far as setup is concerned.  Pre '04 models are doing
very well in BS.  The '04 model is now in AS and
looking at the National Tour results, it can do OK,
but regularly gets beat by the
Boxster S and a few Corvettes.  Brand new Honda S2000s
can be had at MSRP of $33K with used '04 models at
$30K.  '03 models with under 10,000 miles are in the
$27-30K range and older models can be found under
$20K.  My experience with Honda is you can't beat the
reliability of that V-TEC engine and they just keep
running with regular maintenance.

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

The few people that had these cars clearly love them
and who wouldn't love a Porsche?  The price is
certainly a major factor, however.  The new Boxster S
and Honda S2000 both run in AS.  The S2000 lists at
$33K with almost no options.  The Boxster S lists at
$51K with a list of options longer than General
Motors!  Did you know you can have a $6500 paint job
on a factory Boxster?  In any case, the base
Boxster S is 55% higher in price than the base S2000
and after you add the PSM (stability control) 030
Sport package (larger front bar and stiffer springs)
as well as your favorite wheel, stereo, hardtop and
custom leather seating surfaces, you will be much
higher.

However, for that extra $25K+, you get a really sweet
car with a long racing pedigree that has clearly made
it a winner.  The Boxster S seems to be the car to
beat in AS looking at the National Tour results.

Honorable Mentions:

1990 - 1995 Toyota MR2, 2nd generation.  This car got
a couple of mentions.  It isn't a convertible, but it
is a two-seat, mid engine car that is normally
aspirated (E-Stock) or turbo charged (B-Stock).  I
don't see many listed on the results pages but I know
they have done very well in the past.

2005 Lotus Elise

This is a car with a lot of promise, but no history.
It should have a reliable engine and tranny from
Toyota.  The Elise, from experience, has absolutely no
room, no comfort, and no storage.  It is a pure
drivers car.  Golf clubs and groceries are to be
hauled by other marques.  The Elise has a fiberglass
body bonded to an aluminum chassis  The aluminum
chassis is made up of multiple pieces that are bonded
to each other.  Being a Lotus and being a fiberglass
body can be a down side.  My Elise was hit when it was
two days old.  I had to find a 'glass man and get
parts from England.  4 months and $7000 later it was
fixed.  The National office tells me the Elise will go
first into SS and then they will find a permanent
home.  It promises to be a hot, 1.8L, 190 HP, 1900
pound street legal car.  There are a few options on
the Elise, but all of them in the US will come with
the Touring Package (creature comforts).  There is a
Sports Package that includes lighter 17 inch wheels,
Yoko tires made for the car, Bilstein coliovers and
Eibach springs.  This will be a package to have, but
Lotus says they are woefully delayed in getting it
into production.

What to buy?

If I am out of work much longer, a Miata.
If Google does what it is supposed to, the Boxster S.
If I want to stand out, the Lotus Elise.
If I listen to my wife, the S2000 - but I get to pick
the colour!

patrick